Monday, February 22, 2010

It Must Be Universal

The urge that some people have to control the behavior of others must be a universal condition. There are, unfortunately, many more examples than I have the time or energy to cite, but the most recent one just blows me away.

Indonesia's leading Muslim clerics are considering a fatwa (religious edict) against riding a motorbike without a helmet. I acknowledge that wearing a helmet is probably the right thing to do from a safety standpoint, but I adamantly claim that this is a personal choice, not one subject to edicts by any government or religious conglomeration.

I'm a motorcycle rider, currently bike-less, but still licensed. When I was dirt bike riding I wore a helmet. When I was cruising country roads I didn't. But in either case it was MY choice. If something happened to me I was willing to accept the consequences. As indicated on my driver's license, I'm an organ donor. So one could argue that if I became brain dead (some of my students would say I already am) it was a net benefit to society.

In any event, it seems somewhat ironic, not to mention frightening, that a religion known for curtailing freedom of choice would find itself in agreement with many of our state governments. Just another indication that our freedoms are being eroded in the name of safety and security.

No comments: