Monday, February 8, 2010

That didn't take long

We've had the first dead grandmother of the new semester. It only took 4 weeks. That's a new record for me. The sad thing is that the student wasted a perfectly good grandparent in order to request an extension on a routine homework assignment. He didn't plan far enough ahead to use the poor thing to get out of an exam.

I wish I could have taken a picture of his face when I asked for her name and city so I could look up her online obituary. Expressions of disbelief, shock, and utter panic rapidly chased each other across his face before he muttered "Never mind" and fled.

If I was a better person I wouldn't take so much pleasure out of messing with my students. After all, it's not their fault that no one has challenged them or held them accountable before. I feel sorry for them, I fear for the future, but doggone it, it's just so much fun sometimes. It brightens an otherwise dreary day.

No comments: