Thursday, July 1, 2010

Eclipse Fever

Our daughter had her 14th birthday party last night. We (well, actually my wife) scored some tickets to the premiere of Eclipse. I know very little about that movie, or the series it belongs to, but evidently it's a huge deal to teenage girls. As I understand it, it's about a dark, brooding, sensitive guy and a dark, brooding, hunky guy both chasing the same babe. One's a vampire, and the other's a werewolf (I think...).

Anyway, after the flick they all went out to eat and then came back to our place for a sleepover. But first, it was time to open presents, one of which was a life-size cardboard cutout of one of the guys (the hunky one, I think).


Once the wrapping paper was torn off and it became apparent what it was, there began a torrent of jumping-up-and-down-while-squealing, accompanied by a fluttering of hands and a chorus of Oh-My-God's.

I'll never understand women, even in their formative stages...

The best part of the night was when we got the cardboard cutout figure put together and stood up. Our two dogs, who as I explained before are rescue dogs and still have some unresolved issues towards strange men, caught sight of this thing and began barking, growling, and circling it. It took a while to get them calmed down and to make their little doggie brains realize that it was just a picture of a man, not a man.

So we had girls squealing, dogs barking, the older son mocking, and my wife trying to restore order. I grabbed a Shiner and snuck out to the back porch. Much more peaceful there.

2 comments:

JT said...

Ah-hah, your daughter is Team Jacob, as is mine. We have the shirtless, tribal tattoo movie poster version of hunkiness at our house.

CenTexTim said...

At first I thought your "Team Jacob" remark was just a clever way of putting it, but I found out there is a Team Jacob facebook page... I'm so out of it...