Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Good News Bad News

I've posted before about the increasing and totally unnecessary administrative burden being imposed on college professors. Yesterday was a perfect example. Three meetings lasting a total of six hours that didn't resolve a damn thing, so more meetings will be necessary. I won't bore you with the particulars, but the bottom line was six hours in meetings, three hours in the classroom. That ratio will not help educate the kids.

On the good news front, I found out today that I will be presenting a paper at a prestigious international conference. Even better, the conference will be held next January in Hawaii. And to top it off, the university will be paying a large chunk of my expenses.

At last, a worthwhile use of our tax dollars.

Aloha...

3 comments:

JT said...

Ah, Hawaii in January. Mucho jealous.

CenTexTim said...

The only problem is I've got three months to get into beach shape. It won't be easy.

JT said...

I wouldn't worry much. Hawaiians aren't small and neither are the majority of mainland Americans on the beaches. The cost of a meal while you are there might affect your waistline.