Monday, September 13, 2010

Rough Weekend

Hard drive crashed. Cell phone died. Cowboys lost (stop gloating, Harper).

PC's in the shop where the techs are trying to recover the drive contents. Most of the data is backed up online (twice - Carbonite is good; SugarSync is great) but there's some specialized software, settings, and other assorted stuff that I'd like to transfer over rather than recreate/reinstall. I'm keeping my fingers croseed.

Got a brand new 4G phone today (Samsung Epic). It's much more phone than I'm used to, and more than I need, but my wife needed a new one also (she's a cell phone power user) and we got a deal for buying two. She'll teach me how to use it (the new millennium's version of date night). We'll see how things go.

As for the Cowboys ... Jerry Jones is an idiot. Wade Phillips is an idiot. Jason Garrett is an idiot. Tony Romo is an idiot. And perhaps I'm the biggest idiot of all for continuing to follow that wretched team.

I can't help it. I've been watching them since their inception back in 1960. The early days in the Cotton Bowl. The team's first quarterback battle between Eddie LeBaron and Don Meredith. Those epic playoff games against Lombardi's Packers. Craig Morton vs. Roger the Dodger. Looming over everything was the specter of Tom Landry.

Then came Jerry Jones. Yes, the team won a few Super Bowls after he bought the team. but it was in spite of him, not because of him. About the only thing he did right was to hire Jimmy Johnson, and a few years later he ran him off. They haven't done diddly squat since (I don't count the Switzer Super Bowl - that was Johnson's team. Hell, I could have coached that team to the title.)

Now I'm fixin' to settle down and watch two teams I despise on MNF. The ravens are a bunch of arrogant thugs and criminals. The jets are coached by the asshole son (Rex Ryan) of an even bigger asshole (Buddy Ryan). I don't know which one to root against, so I hope it's a scoreless overtime tie.

Multiple Shiners make just about anything watchable...

No comments: