Friday, May 27, 2011

Thanks Mom

Our kids are reaching the age where they're starting to leave the nest for short periods of time. This weekend, for example, they both have 'social functions' tonight (Friday).

We had planned on a long holiday weekend at our place on Lake Buchanan, but the way the schedule worked out is that I came up here tonight, while the kids, their mother, and assorted friends will show up Sat. morning. Then we all head for home Sunday afternoon, because both kids have more 'social functions' planned for Monday.

So to make a long story short, I headed up here this afternoon. I stopped off at the local grocery store to pick up a few items (beer, wine, charcoal, bottled water, and corn on the cob - that should tip you off to what sort of weekend it's going to be).

While I was in the grocery store, I noticed a little old lady hovering around a display of watermelons. She was trying to lift one out, but it was too heavy for her, so I offered to help. One thing led to another, and soon we were rummaging around through the melons, merrily thumping away until we found one that she liked. I picked it up and put it in her shopping cart. She grabbed my hand, thanked me, and then said "Your mama should be proud of you."

I didn't have the heart to tell her that my mother died just a little over a year ago. Still, the little old lady was right. My mother raised me to help people less fortunate than myself. It was nice to get a little reinforcement of that from a total stranger. I felt all warm and fuzzy, like Mom was looking over my shoulder and saying "Way to go."

Thanks, Mom...

No comments: