Wednesday, September 14, 2011

We're Number One!

Texas is #1 in a lot of things, not the least of which is our self-image. However, this is one #1 we could do without.
Texas just finished the hottest June through August on record for any state in the U.S., weather officials said Thursday.

National Weather Service meteorologist Victor Murphy told The Associated Press that Texas' average ... beat out Oklahoma's ... in 1934 (in the midst of the Dust Bowl years).

The record was announced as raging wildfires and scorching heat continued ... over the past week, adding to the human, economic and agricultural toll of a historic drought that climatologists said was only growing more dire.

The dry conditions, coupled with persistent temperatures well above 100 degrees, has sparked wildfires throughout the state. So far this year, 18,719 fires have burned over 3.5 million acres and thousands of homes and other structures, according to the Texas Forest Service.

More than 95 percent of the state's pasture and rangelands are rated as poor or very poor, leaving little for livestock to eat or drink. Texas officials peg damages at more than $5 billion.

I grew up around here, and have lived in Texas most of my adult life, but I've never experienced an extended period of high heat and lengthy drought like this one. It's just been relentlessly brutal, with no relief in sight. The high today here in South Texas was 104 - 104 friggin' degrees in the middle of friggin September - with no rain in the 10-day forecast.

I don't know if it's the weather or my advancing age (well, it's not so much the years as the accumulated mileage) but I feel worn down and wore out. Over the last several weeks I've been sluggish, unmotivated, and on edge. I really have to force myself not to snap at my wife, kids, dogs, or students.


 It's like having PMS...

No comments: