Monday, February 6, 2012

FOD 2012.02.06

You may have seen this painting before. It is "The Forgotten Man" by Jon McNaughton. He painted it to express his dismay at the direction this country has taken under barack obama.


But there is much more to it than that. McNaughton took the time to research the background and actions of all the presidents before obama. He incorporated his impression of how they would view the obama presidency into their actions and expressions portrayed in the painting.

The video below explains McNaughton's motivation and reasoning behind the painting. Please take a couple of minutes (2 minutes 30 seconds) to watch it. It's well worth the time.



You can also go here for a very well done roll-over version of the painting that provides background information on each of the elements in the piece.

I don't know much about art, but I know what I like...

3 comments:

Old NFO said...

And what I find interesting is that Clinton and the Roosevelt's are applauding!

CenTexTim said...

Yeah, I noticed that. I expected it from FDR, but I'm not so sure about Teddy. He did some progressive things, but IMO they were needed at the time, and he did them in a reasonable manner.

Old NFO said...

Depends on which history you read Tim... Just sayin...