Friday, March 23, 2012

Better Than We Deserve

In what has sadly become an all too often occurrence, another U.S. service member was killed in Afghanistan recently.
Second Lt. Clovis T. Ray died Thursday in Kunar province, Afghanistan, the Department of Defense confirmed Saturday. He was injured when insurgents attacked his unit with an improvised explosive device.
What makes this particular death more noteworthy than the others, are least for me, are two things. First, the soldier was from the Central - South Texas region. He grew up in Three Rivers, just down the road from here, and lived in San Antonio for a while.

The other thing that resonated with me is his story.
Ray, 34, gave up a lucrative career as an investment banker to join the Army, said his father, Bob Ray. He worked for Wells Fargo and Wachovia in San Antonio, where he lived for many years.
I worked in the banking industry for many years. Following 9-11 I looked into rejoining the Army, but was told I was too old (I was 49 at the time - a young 49, I insisted, but to no avail).

Lt. Ray, however, managed to get around the age restriction.
(Lt. Ray's father) said the Army generally doesn't take recruits over the age of 30, but they accepted his son at 32.

“I had no idea until he called and said, ‘Dad, I've joined the Army. I want to serve my country,'” his father said.

He leaves behind a wife, Shannon, and 5-year-old son, Dean Aaron Ray.

Maj. David Eastburn, spokesman for the 3rd Brigade Combat Team, said in an email Saturday that Ray was commissioned as an infantry officer through Officer Candidate School in 2010.

“He would lead his men, day in and day out, in the infamous Kunar Province of Afghanistan,” Eastburn wrote. “Clovis made the ultimate sacrifice on a patrol with his platoon. He was a unique leader in that he was well liked by both his peers and subordinates and was always willing to do what it took for his men to be successful.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with this great man's family and friends while they struggle through this difficult time. Although we're on the other side of the globe, we mourn along with them and feel their pain.”
With all the bad press our military gets, it's rewarding to hear a positive story about the sacrifices many of them make just to serve, much less what they endure while serving.

Next time you're out and about take a good look at the people you see and ask yourself how many of them would give up a high-paying career to join the military. How many would leave behind a wife and a five-year-old son. How many would abandon their comfortable air-conditioned life to live in a tent, sleep on a cot (if they're lucky), eat MREs, and forsake cold beers and the other creature comforts we take for granted. How many would give up all that to put their life at risk and serve their country.

My guess is "not many."

I don't know where we get people like Clovis Ray. I am grateful that they do step forward. I hope and pray that we will prove ourselves worthy of them.

God Bless you and your family, Lt. Ray.

Rest in Peace.

6 comments:

Pascvaks said...

"No man is an island, entire of itself; every
man is a piece of the continent, a part of the
main. If a clod be washed away by the sea,
the beach is the less, as well as if a promontory
were, as well as if the home of thy friend or
of thine own were: any man's death diminishes
me, because I am involved in mankind, and
therefore never send to know for whom the bell
tolls; it tolls for thee."


John Donne
Devotions upon
Emergent Occasions, no. 17
(Meditation)
1624 (published)

Well, I must admit that not every man's death diminishes me; some, many, --to be honest-- most have no effect at all. This story introduced me to this man's life, and this man's death diminishes me. I have known and met thousands and thousands of men and women like him. They are all different but they are all the same. Maybe it's the uniform. They are all family. My family.

Anonymous said...

Rest In Peace Lt. Ray.

Thank you for your service.


Toejam

JT said...

God Bless LT Ray and may his family find peace in knowing that ours is a grateful nation, to those who are willing to serve.

CenTexTim said...

Pascvaks - Thank you for that touching comment.

I differ with Donne a little bit. While the death of someone like Clovis Ray diminishes us all, IMO it also enriches us. We are better off for knowing that such a man lived among us, if only for a too-short time.

Toejam and Harper - Thank you both also for your comments. It's nice to know that there remains a solid core of Americans who truly appreciate our military.

jeffli6 said...

Gods speed LT Ray.

CenTexTim said...

jeffli6 (formerly known as SRG) - Amen.