Wednesday, May 23, 2012

An Open Letter To American Express

Earlier this week I alluded to an issue I was having with American Express. The letter below explains it in more detail.

This is a perfect example of how U.S. companies are blindly emphasizing the short-term benefits of cutting expenses by automating customer service operations or, even worse, moving them overseas where front-line employees who interact with American customers neither speak the language well nor comprehend our culture, to the detriment of customer service standards.

I get globalization and the cost-savings motivation. I do, after all, teach in the business school at an international university. But there is a balance to be struck between expense reduction and customer service. In this case American Express has placed too much emphasis on cost savings at the expense of customer satisfaction, and ultimately, customer retention.


May 16, 2012

Mr. Kenneth Chenault
Chief Executive Officer
American Express
200 Vesey St.
New York, NY 10285

Dear Mr. Chenault:

The purpose of this letter is to express my disappointment at your company's customer service – or lack thereof.

On Wednesday, May 16, I logged into my American Express account online. I was attempting to add my son to my account and get a card issued to him. However, the website was no help. When I clicked on the "Want to add someone to your account?" link, I received a response that said "Sorry, we can't find that page." When I called the customer service number listed on the web site I was shuttled off to an automated voice response system that repeatedly told me what my account balance was and repeatedly reminded me to pay my account balance by May 28 – a date that was two weeks away.

After several efforts to navigate this voice-response hell I gave up and ended the call. I have since contacted another credit card company and obtained a card for my son through them.

Bottom line: because American Express has decided to make it as difficult as possible to speak with a real live human being who can provide a modicum of customer service -- and I remember the days when American Express prided itself on setting the gold standard for customer service -- your company has lost one potential card member, and a competitor has gained one. Furthermore, you have caused me to seriously rethink my relationship with American Express. What's the point of paying above-market rates for a credit card when I get below-market service?

I await your response with interest.

Sincerely,

CenTexTim
Member since 1983





7 comments:

Old NFO said...

Yep, I left them years ago for just that reason...

JT said...

I, too, have been in that 'impossible to talk to a human at AmEx' hell. Mr H's card expires at the end of this month. He has been trying to book travel for June 3rd. Can't book a flight, hotel or car until he has a new card. AmEx emailed to say it would arrive by the 26th. It is almost as if they want to make sure he can't take advantage of any early booking discounts. I am sure Visa appreciated the charges.

CenTexTim said...

I wish the higher-ups would have to navigate the same maze that we do when they need something, instead of having a staff of flunkies to do their bidding. If they ever experienced their own crappy customer service maybe it would improve.

Pascvaks said...

Remember the Jeopardy Game with the IBM Computer? The solution is just around the corner folks! I understand that as soon as the Chinese decipher the IBM specs and code they'll have a knock-off version on the market in months. Where there's hope there's... ahhhhhh... damn!... anyway, you know what I'm saying right? If you understand, Press 1; If you do not understand, Press 2.

(;-)

Pascvaks said...

Remember the Jeopardy Game with the IBM Computer? The solution is just around the corner folks! I understand that as soon as the Chinese decipher the IBM specs and code they'll have a knock-off version on the market in months. Where there's hope there's... ahhhhhh... damn!... anyway, you know what I'm saying right? If you understand, Press 1; If you do not understand, Press 2.

(;-)

Pascvaks said...

PS: (Sorry;-(

I only pressed 'Enter' once I swear.

Toejam said...

Maybe you have a "stuttering" problem Pascvaks.

Better get it seen to by a qualified speech therapist very soon.

When Obamacare comes into effect the only cure available will be to sever your broadband connection