Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Cold Outside, Warm Inside

Lately the weather here has been gloomy - cold, cloudy/drizzly, and just plan dank. When it gets like this I like to spend time in the kitchen cooking something that will get the chill out of my bones. Generally that means chili, although this week I did make a batch of black-eyed pea soup, in accordance with the old Southern superstition that eating black-eyed peas on New Year's Day will bring you good luck.

I've provided the recipes below, but first I insist on a word regarding the proper way to prepare chili. Real chili contains beef, peppers, and onions - period. Tomatoes are optional, but allowed (I happen to like tomatoes, so I include them in my chili).

I've heard tell that some heathens use beans, chicken, and even pasta, for God's sake, but that kind of nonsense degrades the noble Bowl of Red (or Bowl of Blessedness, as it is sometimes known). As my dear old Daddy likes to say, "Only yankees and communists put beans in their chili."

So if you're going to make chili do it right and make it as our Dear Lord intended - without beans, pasta, or any other superfluous ingredient.

If you're interested in the recipes just click on the buttons below.

Bergheim Follies Chili




Spicy Black-Eyed Pea Soup



So much for any 'eat healthy' New Year's resolutions...

5 comments:

JT said...

I like a pot of beef, peppers, onions and beans - and my midwestern grandmother always called it chili soup rather than just chili. Is that enough of a distinction?

With or without, it is certainly better than black-eyed pea anything, they taste like dirt (plus I am one of those people that think cilantro tastes like soap). Though, I did cook some BEPs and choke down a spoonful for luck.

Old NFO said...

Good points, NO BEANS!!! And cornbread! :-)

CenTexTim said...

Harper - Chili soup is acceptable. Just don't call it chili. Each winter I also usually make a couple of pots of stew -- beef and/or venison -- but I just haven't got around to it yet this year. When I do I'll post those recipes as well. I use a crockpot which makes it real easy - just plug it in in the a.m. and serve it when yo get home.

NFO - +1 on the cornbread. I forgot to mention that, but we always make it when we have chili, soup, or stew.

Anti Money Laundering said...

Perfect soup for winter season, i think it's better to use chipotle rather than jalapeno pepper. Thank you for the recipe.

CenTexTim said...

AML - you're welcome. Hope you enjoy it.