Saturday, April 6, 2013

Why Retired Professors Drink

I'm retiring effective 31 May 2013. However, since I work for a state university I am still subject to government nonsense, regardless of my impending retirement. For example, the state mandates that we complete certain training courses annually, no matter whether or not they are related to our job duties. Case in point:

I received an email today reminding me that I need to complete a training module on Effective Hiring Practices. Never mind that I teach and do research - I do not hire people. And never mind that in a few weeks I won't be around to hire anyone. The government, in its infallible wisdom, has decreed that I shall complete this training or else I won't be allowed to retire.

Someone once said that government policy is like cancer. No one knows where it comes from, but it can't be ignored.

I can't wait to get away from this nonsense.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Oh yeah... And they got PISSED at me when I said 30% of my time was complying with their non-essential training... :-D

CenTexTim said...

All training is considered essential by management types because it gives them something they can point to and say "We did this."

Even at the expense of real work...