Saturday, June 8, 2013

One Down, One To Go

We went to our son's high school graduation ceremony today. He's now legally an adult, a high school graduate, and has been accepted into Texas A&M. In a few short months he'll be out the door (more or less).

That's one down, and one to go.

I know that as a parent I'm supposed to have all these conflicting emotions about my little boy being all grown up, but honestly, I'm mostly relieved. Not relieved to be rid of him, but relieved that he made it through high school and into college without any significant 'incidents' (hey, that's better than I did). I'm sure I'll feel quite differently when it's my daughter's turn.

Next year, if all goes as planned (knock on wood), she'll turn 18, graduate from high school, and head off to college. Then my wife and I will be empty-nesters. Another life-style adjustment...

One final note regarding the actual graduation ceremony: I am so happy and proud of our local school district and the parents. The ceremony began with the posting of the colors by the high school's junior ROTC. Everyone stood without being prompted, uncovered their heads, and placed their hands over their hearts. That was followed by the high school choir singing the national anthem. The audience sang along, again without prompting. Finally, there was a prayer. Yes, a real honest-to-God prayer at an official school function. No protests, no complaints.

That's the America I grew up in. It's nice to know there are parts of this country where the traditional values are still embraced.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

That's great, and congrats to him AND y'all!

CenTexTim said...

Love living here, and thanks.