Saturday, June 29, 2013

World Tour Update #9

Incredible diving yesterday. I swam with a sea turtle and several large manta rays (2-3 meter wingspan). Both are amazingly graceful– they look like they’re leisurely flying through the air rather than swimming underwater.

We also saw many different reef fish and two types of sharks – black tips and lemon sharks. They were just casually patrolling. It was a little nerve-wracking at first, but we were assured that they are not aggressive. I know the people running the dive operation are professionals, and losing customers to sharks is bad for business, but I’ve seen Jaws. I opted to keep my distance. Better safe than sorry.

Our son, however, worked up enough courage to swim within five feet of a black tip shark larger than I am. There’s a fine line between being adventurous and foolish. He’s 19, and hasn’t figured out where that line is yet.

But we all made it back safe and sound. One more dive this afternoon, and then back to civilization.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

He'll learn... Hopefully SOONER rather than later!!!

CenTexTim said...

If he's like me he'll learn the hard way.