Thursday, July 4, 2013

World Tour Update #14

Being in a foreign country on July 4th gives one an entirely different perspective on being an American. Other countries certainly have their good points, but so far everyone we've met has had nothing but praise and admiration for the U.S. I've heard the phrase "the American dream" more in the last three weeks than in the past three years - and always in a positive way.

Of course, this is based on a very small sample. I'm not naive enough to believe that everyone loves us, but for the most part America is viewed with respect tinged with envy. It makes me proud of my country, warts and all.

It also makes me even more determined to do everything I can to preserve what we have, and to strengthen the values that make us great so that future generations will be able to say "I'm proud to be an American."

I hope everyone has (or had - this time difference is still confusing me) a great 4th. Set off a firecracker and have a cold beer for me.


2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Had the beer, only did 9, 40 and 45 for ya... :-)

CenTexTim said...

Good on ya, mate!