Friday, May 16, 2014

International Sauvignonn Blanc Day

Continuing with what seems to have become this week's theme (booze), today is International Sauvignon Blanc Day.
International Sauvignon Blanc Day is an online endeavour that began in California five years ago, encouraging wine drinkers around the world to sip sauvignon and share their experiences using the "SauvBlanc" hashtag.
I'm not that knowledgeable about wine. I like it, of course, and I have my own personal preferences. In general, I prefer a lighter wine. For the reds that means shiraz or shiraz/cabernet blends, malbecs, and chiantis. Sauvignon blanc and pinot grigio are my white go-tos. I don't worry too much about pairing wine with food. For me it's more about the seasons - reds when the weather is cooler, whites in the summer when I'm looking for something crisp and refreshing.

Which brings us back to sauvignon blanc.
Sauvignon blanc, an aromatic white grape, is produced just about everywhere and comes in a wide variety of styles depending on where it is grown and how it is made ... there are countless good sauvignons to be tried from New Zealand, Chile, South Africa, France’s Loire Valley and beyond.
I've conducted a highly unscientific sample, and have come to the conclusion that the best SB comes from the Marlborough region of New Zealand.
The wine that is produced in this region is of a zesty, juicy, fresh sensation, that is a must try for any wine drinker that has not tried wine from New Zeland. Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc is the perfect bottle of wine for any occasion.
A bit of hyperbole, perhaps, but not too far off the mark. Here's a real wine connoisseur's thoughts on the subject.
The best New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs are lively wines. Big on flavor, they exude powerful aromatics that leap from the glass, exciting our olfactory senses and leaving our mouths awash with flavors of gooseberry, green pepper and various notes from grassy to tropical fruit.
There you have it. If you'd like your mouth awash with powerful flavor (no dirty jokes, please) then try a bottle of New Zealand Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc. One of my favorites is Kim Crawford.
"...the scents of tropical fruit such as passionfruit explode; upon swirling and sticking my nose in the glass I start to receive wafts of peach and citrus. On my tongue, all the flavors of peach, passionfruit, pale apple, grapefruit are present, followed by a twinge of a faint herby quality. This is a snappy little number and that comes across in the finish. This may be a light white wine, but it delivers with zest and acidity in a balanced way. The finish leaves your mouth puckering for more."
What is it with these wine guys and their oral fixation? First your mouth was awash, now it's puckering. Anyway...

Kim Crawford is widely available and quite affordable, I give it a hearty "Thumbs Up!" Give it a try. You'll be glad you did.

2 comments:

Bag Blog said...

A few years back we were in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario - wine country! We rode bicycles around to different wineries tasting and buy wine. After learning lots and tasting even more, I discovered that my favorite was a Sauvignon Blanc. I'll have to try the New Zealand wine.

CenTexTim said...

BB, I think you'll like it. Just be aware that the wine is not for the meek. It's a bold wine - tart and tangy, with citrusy overtones. If you like grapefruit juice you'll like Kim Crawford.

For a milder flavor try either Starborough or Nobilo. They're both from the Marlboroough region, but aren't as overpowering.