Thursday, February 12, 2015

I Got Nothing

The weather here has been absolutely drop dead gorgeous - highs hovering around 80, bluebird skies, light breezes and low humidity. I've been spending most of the last several days outdoors; golfing, yard work, taking the dogs for long walks, and just sitting on the porch with my wife and a bottle (or two) of wine. I have had little inclination to spend much time sitting at a keyboard. So today's post is a collection of random thoughts and in-basket tidbits.

Speaking of yard work, for Christmas I received a new chainsaw. I wasn't too sure about it, because it was an electric chain saw, not a gas one. But after using it a few times, I can give it an enthusiastic thumbs-up. It has plenty of power, the battery life is good, and you don't have to worry about oil/gas mixtures, or the gas in the tank going stale.

I use it mainly for trimming limbs, clearing brush, and cutting down small to medium sized trees. The largest tree I've cut down was about 12 inches in diameter, but I think it would suffice to fell larger ones. The biggest drawback is battery life. It lasts for about an hour of almost continuous use, but the good news is that the battery recharges quickly - an hour or less. I'm planning to buy a second battery, so by swapping out the two I should be able to use it more or less continuously. More info here, here, and here.


The remainder of today's post is visual, because as we all know, 1 picture = 1K words.




4 comments:

Bag Blog said...

I've often wondered about electric weed-eaters/chainsaws/etc. My hubby bought the big-ass gas weed-eater. It is so big that I can barely hold it (makes for a good excuse not to use it:) It rarely starts without some work done to it, which is the way it goes with most of our yard equipment. Just once, I want to start up the lawnmower or weed-eater or chainsaw and have it actually start. Maybe for Valentine's Day...

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Battery lasts an hour? Perfect. Time for a break.

Old NFO said...

Plus one on WSF. An hour is long enough to beat yourself up with a chainsaw! Enjoy the weather and I'm glad somebody's getting up.

CenTexTim said...

BB - I've always been a gas power tool guy, but this thing has converted me. No muss, no fuss, no constant tinkering and maintenance to get it started. I'm thinking there's an electric weed eater in my future.

WSF and NFO - good idea. An hour at a time it is!